Tasting Note : Domaine Etienne Sauzet Le Montrachet Grand Cru 1996


Domaine Etienne Sauzet Le Montrachet Grand Cru 1996

Deep gold colour with orange tint. It looks like the wine has aged a little fast. On the nose, aromas of honey, pineapple, creme anglaise and almonds. There is a slight presence of oxdation. On the palate, the acidity is somehow faded but the structure is still very well balanced. Round with oaky falvours well integrated, it shows more honey and floral aromas on the mid palate. I expected a much longer finish for a Montrachet. The wine seems to have reached is peak.

I am a great fan of Etienne Sauzet whites and one of my favorite white Burgundy, is his Chevalier-Montrachet. This particular Montrachet we tasted was excellent, but I was expecting something a little more mind blowing. I guess after 14 years, some of the bottles have variation and one should be ready to accept that.

QC