Tasting Note : Paul Jaboulet Aine Hermitage La Chapelle 1990

Paul Jaboulet Aine Hermitage La Chapelle 1990

Well, well, well. I have add a few La Chapelle in my life, but it was the first time I had the chance to taste the 1990. Decanted from a half bottle, the wine was only open twenty minutes before I tasted it. The colour is still opaque and even after 19 years, it seems the wine has not even started to change in colour! On the nose, a complexity of layers : Blackcurrant, dark cherry, leathery, smoky and spicy. But what surprise me the most, is the freshness of the fruits still developing. On the palate the wine is generous and concentrated with tannins well integrated in the structure, but still in their youth though. More aromas of black berries and spice with round flavours of toasted wood. The acidity lifts the wine and gives it balance. It has great power, but no heaviness. The finish is long and dense. I was hoping for a slightly more explosive finish, but this will come with many more years of cellaring...
QC